The Q&A Archives: gardening

Question: I am starting a brand new garden in an area that previously held one mangy little plant. How do I go about amending the soil so that it is fertile for vegetables?

Answer: You will want to build some good garden loam by spreading 4-5 inches of compost or aged manure over the bed and digging or tilling it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the area and plant your veggies, spreading an additional 2-3 inches of compost over the bare soil to help suppress weeds. At the end of the season dig the compost into the soil and add fresh. Each year that you add compost and then dig it into the soil you will be improving the texture of your soil. In a few years you will have rich garden loam and a fantastic garden. Enjoy!