The Q&A Archives: Planting Grapevine

Question: i bought a green seedles grape vine about 5ft tall and it has two sets of grapes already 3in hanging, and it is still in a 3 gallen pot. the question is which side of the house should i plant it South, north, east, west; near the house (brick) or far, i have spaceing in front of house (south) about 18ft x 18ft and norht side i have 30ft x 30ft and 5ft on east and west.people plant it on Sth side

Answer: Grapevines need lots of room to sprawl but they also produce the most fruit in a sunny site - which is why lots of people plant them on the south side of the garden. However, I've planted grapes on the east side of my house they fruit beautifully. So, choose the spot with the largest area and the most sun and your grapevines will be just fine.