The Q&A Archives: Discouraging Summer Houseflies

Question: I live next door to a dairy farm. Is there anything I can plant or hang or use to discourage the hoards of houseflies that plague us in the summer? Jean Hall Brewster, NY

Answer: Other than excluding flies from your house with screens, there's really nothing you can do to keep flies out of your yard. Have you discussed this problem with your neighbor? There may be some steps he or she can take to reduce fly populations on the farm. Improving drainage and controlling moisture levels can help. There are also some parasites available for biological control of flies. You might offer to contact your local Extension System agent; they should have access to information on manure management and fly control. Their number is 914-278-6738.