The Q&A Archives: Insects

Question: I just sprayed all of my vegetable plants to get rid of insects. However, today I went to check my garden and found a Caterpillar on the leaves of my Bell Peppers. What is the best way to get rid of Caterpillar's, and how often is it safe to spray for insects?

Answer: You can control caterpillars with the botanical called Bt (bacillus thuringensis) sold as Dipel in most garden centers. Caterpillars can be either butterflies or moths so while their feeding might be unsightly, if left alone they might turn into beautiful adults. I'd be cautious about using insecticides on vegetable plants - you need some insect activity for pollination. Without bees, wasps and flies to transfer pollen, your veggies won't develop fruit. I'd just monitor the garden on a daily basis. If you see a destructive beetle you can pick it off the leaf and remove it from the garden. Best wishes with your garden!