The Q&A Archives: Soil Testing

Question: My gardenia's are turning yellow, why is this happening?

Also, I planted knock out roses, and all of the flowers fell off within a week. Should I be concern?

Finally, where can I have my soil tested? I live in Mesquite, Texas. Thanks

Answer: The older leaves usually are the first to show stress symptoms and yellow. It may be too much water (especially if the soil is heavy and poorly drained) or poor fertility. Try fertilizing with a food recommeded for gardenias (acid food with iron). Check the fertilizer package to be sure gardenias are one of the plants mentioned. Cut back on watering if it's wet and mulch the base of the plant with pine straw to help conserve moisture when it does dry out. Your new roses probably went through some transplant shock. Once the roots become established they will begin growing again and flowering. Just water them deeply once each week and they should establish quickly and develop new flowers. Texas A & M will test your soil. Here's their website - click on soil sample test kits and follow the directions: Best wishes with your garden!