The Q&A Archives: Weed Barrier or Black Plastic

Question: I removed Ivy w/o killing it first, some roots left, will rototill next. I'm planting fruit trees and other plants. Since I didn't know how to smother and kill the Ivy first, is it best to rototill the ground, and put the weed fabric cover and mulch on top that to try to keep the ivy from growing again. Is it best to use black roof plastic or weed fabric cover?

Answer: When you rototill, rake up all the dead vines and roots and they lay a weed barrier fabric over the area. I wouldn't use black plastic because it doesn't allow rain water to penetrate into the soil, which is not a healthy thing for your soil. After anchoring the weed barrier down, cut X's or holes for your new plants and when you are finished planting, cover the weed barrier with bark mulch. Best wishes with your garden.