The Q&A Archives: Composting after plug aerating

Question: Thanks for the plugging answer for Clearwter, FL area.
What do you recommend I use for the compost? The horse manure compost I have seen for sale was not really compost YET (not ready, per a sample I took to our Aqricultural agent). And with 2 acres to cover, I'd probably need a machine to spread it and do so properly - right? Murf

Answer: You really only need to spread a half inch of compost over the aerated lawn. An alternative would be sand but I suspect your soil is already sandy enough. Aged manure is often sold in bags (but 2 acres worth will be quite an investment!) Perhaps your local county solid waste department composts landscape debris and will deliver a truckload? It's worth a phone call. Or, local farms might have a stockpile of aged manure. Keep checking around and be sure to ask your Ag Agent. He/she might know exactly where you can find compost for your project. Hope so!