The Q&A Archives: shrubs for moist soil

Question: I have a low area in my flower bed that gets full sun, but stays moist what kinds of shrubs will grow in these conditions?

Answer: Some shrubs tolerant of damp shade include: Carolina allspice is another shade-loving shrub that not only adds interest with its reddish-purple flowers, but this shrub also emits a pleasant spicy aroma. Viburnum shrubs not only provide attractive, fragrant blooms but are also tolerant of shade. These sweet-smelling, shade-loving shrubs can make excellent understory plantings as well. Rhododendrons and azaleas are probably some of the most popular and best loved of the shade shrubs. They not only thrive in shade but also seem to harmonize with it. These shade-loving shrubs are loved for their colorful blooms and interesting, evergreen foliage. They can be used as hedges, foundation plantings, or alone as specimen plants. Hope these suggestions help you find just the right plants for your garden.