The Q&A Archives: tomatoes in the DC area

Question: Thanks for your SO prompt answer on when to start my garden! You mentioned growing short-season tomatoes...any recommendations on types to plant? I grew up on Jersey beefstake and big boy tomatoes, so something along those flavor lines would be great! Thanks!!

Answer: Preference for a tomato texture and flavor is really a personal thing but I've grown the following and I think they all have merit. Lets us know at the end of the season whether or not you agree.
Applause VFFA Hybrid: Early maturity, compact plant size and large, beautiful tomatoes are tops on most gardeners' wish list, and these attributes are just what Applause delivers. Perfectly smooth, large fruit are 8 to 12 ozs. with a fresh, delicious flavor. These plants stay smaller so they fit tighter growing spaces while still providing exceptional yields. Maybe the name of this tomato comes from the appreciation felt for such a great choice in an early variety. (66 days)

Bush Beefsteak : Compact, bushy plants yield an early abundance of big clusters of 6 to 8 oz. rich red, beefsteak-shaped fruit. Popular in the North because of its earliness, productivity, and large fruit size. Determinate. (62 days)

Fireworks: What makes this variety really special is that it is one of the largest, earliest red slicing tomatoes available, and it has excellent flavor. This combination of size, earliness, and good taste is truly uncommon, but Fireworks is an exceptional variety. Its bright red fruit are 6 to 8 ozs., round with a pointed tip, and borne quite heavily on vigorous plants. Indeterminate. (60 days).

Gregori's Altai: Siberian variety that originated in the Altai Mountains on the Chinese border. Tall plants are heavy producers of 8 to 12 oz. pink-red beefsteak tomatoes. The flavor is sweet yet acid and just delicious, with harvests continuing over an incredibly long season. Indeterminate. (67 days).

Good luck with your tomato plants!