The Q&A Archives: Erosion-control Ground Covers

Question: I live on the coast in New Brunswick, near Calais, ME. My house is situated on a somewhat rocky, sandy slope, parts of which are getting eroded and washed away. The slope has a couple of natural springs running through it. Pine and birch trees grow on it. What other kinds of trees and/or shrubs would provide good root structure for such a slope? I was thinking about sumac trees.

Answer: Sounds beautiful. You may add the following erosion-control woody shrubs and ground covers to your slope palette: Arctostaphylos, Erica, Juniperus, Mahonia repens, Rhus, Rosa rugosa, Symphoricarpus. Also consider the following perennials and vines: Lathyrus latifolius, Parthenocissus, Cerastium, Coronilla, Hemerocallis, and Sedum.