The Q&A Archives: Fire ants in veg. garden

Question: I have a layered vegetable garden example layer wet layer dead leaves, top layer landscape mulch from city. I plant my rows between layered rows and have fire ants, especially in carrot and beet rows. What is safe to use on vegtable gardeer to get kill fire ants? any ant bait or spray?

Answer: You don't have too many options when dealing with fire ants in a vegetable garden. You can try pouring very hot to boiling water directly on the mounds which will kill FRESH fire ant mounds 60% of time. Be careful not to cook plants! Or you can use Combat or Spectracide fire ant bait products. These are not approved for use IN vegetable gardens but can be applied around and outside the borders of the garden so the worker ants inside and outside of the garden can gather the bait and take it back to their colonies. Best wishes with your garden!