The Q&A Archives: Bugs on herbs

Question: what home remedy can I use to get rid of bugs from my indoor herbs plant

Answer: If you are finding bugs on your herbs, the best remedy is to rinse them off with water under the faucet. Since your plants are indoors I wonder if you are dealing with fungus gnats? These tiny flies feed and breed in moist organic matter and potting soil is the perfect medium for them. They fly around and are most annoying! If this is what is bugging your plants (and you!) the best remedy is to place a barrier between the potting soil and the pests. A layer of sand over the potting soil serves as a good barrier or you can place plastic wrap over the soil and around the plant to keep the pests from accessing the potting soil. The current generation will die off in a few weeks and no new generation will be produced. Give this a try if fungus gnats are bugging your plants.