The Q&A Archives: upside down tomatoes

Question: I'm trying tomatoes upside down but they have wilted, curled & yellowed.with a few fruits.I'm sure i under watered but upside down the leaves stay too wet. what do I do?

Answer: It can be difficult to provide just the right amount of water when growing upside down plants. The theory is that you thoroughly soak the planting media each time you water and the excess will drain out the bottom. If you use potting soil instead of garden soil, and plant at the top of the planter so the roots grow downward, your plants should be okay if you water when the top inch of soil is dry and add water until it drains out of the bottom of the container. The leaves hanging down outside of the container will dry out in an hour or two if they get wet. Try giving your plants more water and they won't wilt and turn yellow. Good luck with your tomatoes!