The Q&A Archives: soil mix

Question: I built a standing garden filled with the following soils. Topsoil, compost manure, and potting soil. But now it seems to be too dry and I have to water every other day. Will my vegs die? What do I do?

Answer: Sounds like the right soil combination to me. The soil is draining really fast - which your plants will love - but it can be labor intensive to have to keep watering every other day. How about watering thoroughly so the water goes down 8-10 inches and then covering over the bare soil with a mulch material to slow evaporation? It's okay if the top of the soil dries out to about one inch but you do want water to penetrate deeply to keep the roots hydrated. You can spread additional mulch material over the top of the bed or even cover the soil with several thicknesses of newspaper, with cardboard or even with straw to help slow evaporation. It sound make a huge difference. Best wishes with your garden!