The Q&A Archives: HELP

Question: I live in a condo and have a small garden. I have never tended to a garden before & have no idea where to begin. I also haver a large bush that looses its leaves in the winter time (and looks like a skeleton) Since the bush was there before I moved in I have no idea what it is or how to manage it. The branches are overgrown and I would like to cut them back but not sure how the proper way to do

Answer: Regardless of the type of shrub you have you can safely cut it back by one third to reduce the size. This year you will be able to learn whether it flowers and how fast it grows and you can base your pruning on how the shrub reacts. Some can be cut down to ground level, others need to be only lightly trimmed. But, you can still safely cut it back this spring to make it smaller. Best wishes with your shrub!