The Q&A Archives: Fast Growing Vine

Question: Hi, I was wondering if you could suggest a fast fence climbing, privacy type of plant. I live in Buffalo,NY and moving into a new home that had private fence on the sides of the yard, but a 20ft tall chain link in the back of the yard, there is a school behind us, and I would like to privatize the yard a little more.

Answer: Ivy will grow up a chain link fence and provide evergreen privacy. It can get out of control after a few years so it may not be the best choice. Trumpet vine and the native honeysuckles are delightful woody vines that attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Another consideration is Sweet autumn clematis which produces fragrant white flowers each fall followed by attractive seed heads. This vine shold be trimmed back hard each spring but regrows quickly and could cover your fence in a short time.