The Q&A Archives: Shrimp Plant Problems

Question: I recently purchased a Shrimp Plant. I don't see any visible pests, but it appears to be "weeping." That is, there are droplets of a water-like substance on the tips of the flowers. Is this normal, or is it an indication of a pest problem?

Answer: Sounds like your plant is just drinking up more water than it needs and the excess is being expelled. Many houseplants do this because they gorge themselves when they get a drink of water. It's nothing to worry about. Shrimp plants are fairly easy to grow. They like warm days and cool nights, a sunny windowsill and ample water from spring through fall. They don't grow much in the winter and don't need much water; wait until the top of the soil dries out before watering in the winter months.