The Q&A Archives: Guava as Houseplant

Question: I purchased two guava plants (1 pineapple and 1 strawberry) but no instructions came with them. The company I purchased them from can't help me. Do you know where I could get instructions for these two plants?

Answer: Pineapple guava (Feijoa sellowiana) is a subtropical small tree or large shrub in the garden but will grow to about six feet in a large tub. It needs plenty of light and should be grown in a cool greenhouse with a minimum temperature of about 40F. Allow the surface of the soil to dry out between waterings.

The strawberry guava is a type of Eugenia. Eugenias generally prefer a warmer greenhouse environment with a minimum temperature of about 60F and again, plenty of light. A moist but well drained, slightly acid mix should be adequate. It will be quite a reward if you can get these plants to fruit indoors!