The Q&A Archives: Brown Spots on Magnolia Leaves

Question: I have southern magnolia tree that I planted 2 years ago.
The leaves are getting brown patches that spread all over the tree (approximately 6' tall). Even the new leaves are opening up with brown patches. What should I do?

Answer: The fact that new leaves are opening with the brown patches eliminates a fungal leaf spot as they almost always show up on older leaves. Magnolia is native to your area an survives quite well with a few problems.

Have you sprayed the tree with anything, or used a herbicide near it? If not, I suspect the cause could be environmental (such as dry winter winds) or due to some other passing problem. It should correct itself soon. If not, you may want to contact your County Agricultural Extension Office (ph# 606/744-4682) and inquire about how disease diagnostic samples can be sent to the state pathology lab for analysis. There is usually a charge for this service.