The Q&A Archives: oops meant perennials

Question: I have partial sun exposure in my front yard. I am getting ready to plant some dogwood bushes (midwinter fire) in front of the house and would like suggestions of some flowering perennials (animal friendly, as I have two dogs) that would look nice. I recently purchased some akita and cafe au lait dahlia bulbs and am not sure if those would work in front of the dogwood or not.

Answer: Here are a few perennial suggestions:
Artemisia - Silver Mound; Silver-white, mounded perennial. Ideal for accent or borders; likes sun to part shade. Blooms for 4-6 weeks beginning in early spring. 24-30"

Astilbe - False Spirea; Ideal for moist shady places, borders, and pond edges. Blooms for 6-8 weeks beginning in summer. Likes partial shade to sun in rich soil. Good cut flower.

Delphinium - Larkspur; Tall, compact flowers in a variety of colors blooming 1-2 months beginning in June. Attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.

Hemerocallis - Daylily; Medium growing, upright perennial. Yellow flowers bloom 3-4 months beginning in June. Best in fertile, well-drained soil; likes sun.

Monarda - Bee Balm; Large flowers with aromatic mint-like foliage. Grows well in full sun to part shade. Attracts hummingbirds and butterflies.

Good luck with your garden.