The Q&A Archives: Care of Gardenias

Question: I need info on feeding and pruning of the gardenia I just bought. The code THDA1853 did not show on my computer.Thanks

Answer: You didn't say if your gardenia is indoors in a pot or outside in the landscape, but considering your location I'm going to assume it's outdoors. Gardenias need at least a half day of full sun to bloom, but at the same time, the hot afternoon sun can be tough on them. Morning sun is best, so an eastern location would be ideal. You might also try a southern or western exposure with some filtered shade. Gardenias like rich, moist soil so mulch over the top of the soil after planting to help slow water evaporation. You can feed your gardenia in the spring with an acidified plant food (such as one for gardenias or azaleas). I use Miracid. Gardenias like humidity so if the weather is really hot, hose your plant off each morning to increase humidity. You can prune the entire plant in the early spring and again after blooming has stopped (late summer or early fall) to keep it neat and bushy. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Agave"