The Q&A Archives: Purchased 2 small burning bushes last year

Question: I purchased/planted 2 small burning bushes last year (last May) I think they may be dead, since they are bare, and they never turned colors last fall. How do I know for sure if they are dead or still dormat. Also, I purchased at Home Depot, but not sure I still have receipt, but kept the Home dept tags that show I got them there, can I exchange for new ones?

Answer: I don't really know what the local policy is for exchanges so why not phone or visit the store and ask? If the shrubs have not yet leafed out, they probably won't. Why not just dig the plants, roots and all, place them in a plastic bag and take them, along with the plant tags back to the nursery center? They very well may replace them on the spot. Hope so!