The Q&A Archives: Linaria Toadflax Species ID

Question: Last year I planted seeds for what turned out was an annual. It grew about 12 to 18 inches high and looked very similar to a miniature snapdragon. The plant looked somewhat fragile in appearance and lasted the entire summer season for blooms. It was named "Toadflax". This year I cannot find the seeds. Is there another name by which this flower can be found. Another nurseryman suggested an annual Linaria, but didn't have a picture or sold the specie. Can you help? Maybe it was a perennial, and just didn't overwinter. However the garlic and chives right next to it did. Your help is appreicated.

Answer: Toadflax is indeed Linaria, there are many varieties. What you are describing sounds like Linaria maroccana var. or Linaria purpurea. The first is annual, the second perennial. The first is more "snapdragonish" in appearance. Burpee doesn't currently carry seeds for this plant but Parks does, you can reach them at ph. 864-223-7333, or write them at Geo. W. Park Seed Co., Inc., 1 Parkton Ave., Greenwood, SC 29647-0001. Enjoy!