The Q&A Archives: what kind of mulch

Question: Flower garden with west sunny exposure. What kind of mulch? Soil base is gumbo, but we mixed in organic peat. Rubber mulch, cedar bark, what??

Answer: Each type of mulch has its pros and cons. I like using organic mulches because I can dig them into the soil every few years and replace them with new and that helps enrich the soil. I use 2-3 inches of compost over the bare soil after planting my perennials. Rubber mulch will last a very long time so no replacement is necessary but I would suggest laying down a weed barrier cloth prior to placing rubber mulch. This way you can rake it up and out of the way if you ever want to divide your plants or dig into the soil. Cedar bark also lasts a long time and eventually can be dug into the soil when it needs to be replaced. The choice is ultimately yours!