The Q&A Archives: Worm Bed & Compost pile

Question: I started a compost pile in a compost barrel, I did everything I thought I should, all went well,until I saw & heard bugs not maggots but millions of bugsin the mix, the same happened to a worm bed I had started. What is it? what caused it?

Answer: Insects are a normal part of the decomposition process so you should expect to see some, but huge populations can indicate your compost pile is not hot enough and is not 'cooking'. When you work the pile it gets warm enough to drive insects out. Be sure you have adequate proportions of green and brown, keep greasy food scrapes, bones and meat out of the compost and turn it often enough to keep it cooking. That should take care of the insect problems in your compost bin. As for the worm bin, keep it moist (like a wrung out sponge, and keep it covered to exclude most insect pests. Good luck with your compost!