The Q&A Archives: Removing Grass for New Vegetable Garden

Question: I would like to clear an area of grass that is about 15 ft. by 20 ft. to plant a vegetable garden. I do not want to use chemicals. Can I rototill the grass, or do I need to remove it by shoveling or using a sod cutter? Thank you.

Answer: You can rototill the area and then rake the grass and grass roots out of the bed, add some organic matter over the top of the bed, rototill it in to a depth of 8-10 inches and then level the area and plant your veggies. If you add more organic matter between the plants it will help suppress weed and at the end of the season you can dig the old mulch into the bed and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process each year and you'll have rich, organic loam. Best wishes with your garden!