The Q&A Archives: Ground Burrowing Critter

Question: I have mounds of soft fluffy dirt in my front and side and backyards. No entry holes simply mounds 6 to 12 inches high. I did find a couple of holes 3 inches in diameter. Stuck a garden hose in one and ran on full volume for two hours it never filled up. I could hear it running in the hole which I determined to be at least 6 feet straight down. What have I got? How to make it go away?

Answer: No moles here in the southwest but we do have gophers, ground squirrels, field mice, and pack rats. The gophers are the most damaging and trapping is about the only way to get rid of them. I'd just keep filling in the holes as they appear, or set a scissors type gopher trap in one of the main tunnels. Good luck with your project