The Q&A Archives: Changing the Direction Flowers Face

Question: I have planted various flowers at the edge of a windy farmers field. Two problems I have are: (1) The flowers all face toward the field and away from the viewers line of sight because it is sunnier in the field. I have mostly daylilies, Gloriosa Daisies, and Purple coneflowers. What can I do to make the flowers face me! (2) Gloriosa Daisies look great at first, but the wind quickly knocks them down and makes a mess of them. Without staking them all, what can I do to maintain their appearance? Terry Goldstein E. Windsor, NJ

Answer: I have some bad news. There's nothing you can do to change the direction the flowers in your field face; they naturally orient themselves to the sun. And regarding your daisies falling over -- the only suggestions I have are to plant your bed densely; a massed grouping of flowers might be better able to withstand a windy day. Also, surround your daisy planting with dense, shorter flowers or ground cover to help break the wind. Or, if your situation allows it, plant a windbreak of dense shrubs. But no matter what you do, a strong wind may still knock your flowers over.