The Q&A Archives: lemon tree

Question: I have a ponderosa lemon that I bought in South Texas. It had three lemons on it and the fruit ripened. Since then, two years ago, the plant blooms profusely, but does not set fruit. Any suggestions? The tree is potted and lives half the year in a sunroom and half the year on a sunny deck
David LaMure

Answer: Citrus trees often develop lots of flowers but most of them drop without producing fruit. It's just the nature of the tree. However, lemon is self-pollinating. When the pollen is ripe, it drops down onto the stigma. You can hedge your bet by gently shaking the tree after the flowers open fully, or by playing bee and gently dusting the inside of each flower with a small, soft brush. Some years citrus trees produce lots of fruit and other years they don't. It's nothing to worry about. Enjoy your lemons!