The Q&A Archives: an established rose disease

Question: Barks of the trunks(entire circumference) of my established roses peeled off (4-6 inches above the ground) leaving the trunk exposed/bare. Uncovered trunks are still just as hard (no change or the same condition when the trunks were with their barks) and no insects are sticking on their surfaces. A rose disease? Result of the pressure of water from hose hitting the trunk when watering the roses

Answer: Unless the water from the hose goes completely around the trunks of your roses I think you're dealing with a four legged critter. Rats, mice, sometimes even chipmunks and squirrels can chew on the bark. You might try wrapping some hardware cloth around the trunks to keep pesky critters from munching. Best wishes with your roses!