The Q&A Archives: squirrel proof plants/bulbs

Question: I am trying to beautify a large shady embankment on our property, we live in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. The soil is perfect. I have tried a large variety of plants and bulbs and the multitude of squirrels eat them. So far, Pacysandra and a few daffodils has survived. I am trying to bring color and life with low maintenance to this area and I'm so frustrated. Hostas didn't even survive.Help

Answer: Squirrels don't like daffodils so that's why yours weren't bothered. It's almost impossible to keep squirrels from messing around with above ground plants like hosta but you can keep them away from your bulbs by planting as usual and then laying chicken wire over the top of the soil. You can disguise it by mulching over the top with compost or pine needles. The squirrels can't dig through the chicken wire but the bulbs will emerge and find a hole in which to grow. Wish I had other ideas for keeping the squirrels at bay. Best wishes with your garden!