The Q&A Archives: Grass Seed and Fertilizer

Question: My backyard is pretty bare, and I purchased a Bermuda grass seed to spread on it (overseeding method.) When is it safe to Fertilize it? When can I spread insect killing granules on the lawn? I've already Fertilized my front yard a week ago with a Scott's Truf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control, when is it okay to spread the insect granules? And what fertilizer should I use next for both front & backyard?

Answer: Check the fertilizer package to see when you can seed. Some weed control products contain a pre emergent chemical that will keep seeds from germinating - including grass seeds. There's a waiting period; anywhere from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 months, depending upon what's in the weed control. Pesticides should not inhibit grass seed germination so your only waiting period will be based on the fertilizer package recommendations. You can use the insect granules now. Scott's has a whole line of fertilizer products from which to choose for your front and backyards. I find that just the right formulation goes on sale at just the right application time so check the ads and watch for sales. Best wishes with your landscape!