The Q&A Archives: Propagating Lavender Plants

Question: I have a large lavender plant (about 5 years old) and I would like to learn how to make new plants from cuttings. The branches are very woody and did not root in water. Is there some way I can make more lavender plants to share?

Answer: Yes, there is a good way to do this. It's called Mound Layering. This method is particularly good for propogating plants that tend to become woody at the center with little new growth.

In the spring, mound soil over the base of the plant, leaving just the top exposed. This stimulates new shoots to develop roots. Leave the soil in place, replenishing if it washes away, until late summer or fall when new roots have been established. At that time wash away the soil with a hose, cutting the shoots, with roots attached, from the parent plant. Then all that's left to do is to pot them up or plant them out.