The Q&A Archives: Vines for Privacy

Question: I have some very messy neighbors who leave junk in their yard but along my chain link fence & in our direct view. I would like to plant something along that fence that would conceal the mess. Part of the fence is below 3 crab apple trees. The other part is in a somewhat sunny area, though their garage is 2-3' away and west of my fence. Is there a shrub or plant that would work all year round?

Answer: Here are a few suggestions for vines that will tolerate either sunny or shady spaces: Celastrus orbiculatus (Oriental Bittersweet), grows 30-40' Celastrus scandens (American Bittersweet), grows 20+ Clematis dioscoreifolia var. robusta (Sweet Autumn Clematis) Euonymus Fortunei vars. & cultivars (Wintercreeper) more shrubby than viney Hedera helix (English Ivy) Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris (Climbing Hydrangea) Lonicera japonica 'Halliana' (Hall's Honeysuckle), grows 15-30' Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia Creeper), grows 30-50+ Parthenocissus tricuspidata (Boston Ivy) Best wishes with your new vine!