The Q&A Archives: winter damage to holly

Question: I have two hollies about 5 ft. high and 4 feet wide that i planted last june in my yard. It's been a tough winter with alot of snow and freezing temps and my hollies are looking a bit ragged. They did manage to make a couple of red berries, but mostly there seem to be clusters of small black berries(?) and many of the leaves have black and brown spots. What should i do?

Answer: Your poor hollies! Winter damage can be pruned off the plant and spring is the best time to prune. I hope the damage is not too extensive. Prune the entire plant back by a few inches to encourage healthy new growth. The berries will fall off the plant on their own or you can prune them off to make the shrubs look more attractive. I think your hollies will flower and produce new berries this year. Best wishes with your shrubs!