The Q&A Archives: insecticidal soap

Question: your expert told me to use insecticidal soap for the white flies that pestering my plants. But I could not find it here in Guam, I tried home depot almost all the places where they sell it but some don't even know what it is.
Can you tell me any brand so i could tell them what I was looking for.

Answer: Sorry you are having trouble finding Insecticidal Soap. There are many brands so you might want to look in the houseplant section of the store. Safer's is one brand of Insecticidal Soap. Or, you can make your own. Soap has been used for centuries as an all-purpose pesticide. It disrupts insects? cell membranes, and kills pests by
dehydration. The key is not to use too much soap, or you?ll also kill the vegetation near the pests. If you follow the proportions of soap to water in the Soap Spray recipe, below, the vegetation should be fine.

Note: Buy a liquid soap and not a detergent, such as Pure-Castile Soap.

Insecticidal Soap Spray
1 to 2 tablespoons liquid soap
1 quart water

Mix thoroughly and then transfer to a spray bottle and spray your plants.