The Q&A Archives: Weed and feed

Question: Last year I bought Weed and Feed for my flower garden. I have been to several stores including Home Depot and can't find it. Don't they sell it anymore? What do I use instead? Preen? I put Preen on about 3-4 weeks ago, can I put it on again this soon? It says 9 weeks. Can you recommend anything else?

Answer: Preen is just about as good as any pre emergence herbicide as you can use for your flower beds. It won't kill existing weeds but it will stop weed seeds from germinating. Don't apply more often as recommended on the label - you'll overdo with herbicides and it can affect the plants in the beds. Just hand pull any existing weeds and let the Preen to its job of keeping new weeds from sprouting. Best wishes with your flower bed!