The Q&A Archives: Growing Brussels Sprouts

Question: I live in the foothills of the Adirondacks in Upstate New York. I just put my garden in. And this year for the first time I have started some brussels sprouts. My question is, I have never grown them...or have been able to talk with anyone that has.Is there anything special that you have to do. Currently, the plants are about 4 high. I have them in the same area of the garden with my broccoli.

Answer: Brussels Sprouts for Beginners: 1) Lots of sunshine 2) Good deep soakings at least once a week. 3) Amend the soil well with organic matter and a good slow-acting complete fertilzer for vegetables. 4) Side-dress lightly once a month throughout the season. 5) Harvest biggest sprouts in 80-100 days from planting transplants.