The Q&A Archives: Best Compost Bin

Question: I would like to know which is the best compost bin on the market today. I have made alot of compost bins and they all work very well but they all require alot of time to set up. I would like to set one up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to build and looks good also.

Answer: It sounds like your backyard has seen it's share of Compost Bins! I made a compost bin in one day including going to the lumber store and buying cedar, bringing it home and putting it together. I am a woman who does NOT do any woodworking! My husband offered advice, but I refused to let him help because I wanted the satisfaction of doing this project myself. I'm sure I am not entirely objective, but I think this is a very nice looking bin. I got the plans from the Univ. of Connecticut Extension Service. (I have looked for a discriptive number on this sheet, but there is none.) However, it shows two separate bins. One is a 4'x4'x4' compost bin and the other is a wire bin 3'x3'x3'. I made the 4'x4'x4' compost bin shown on the top of the page.

If you call your closest Extension System office, I'm sure they can send the plans out to you. I would imagine that is the Norwich office at 860-887-1608.