The Q&A Archives: Shade shurbs for privacy

Question: I need shade shrubs foe privacy. I an ibundated with Buck Thorn Trees

Answer: Here are some suggestions:

Holly (Ilex) Popular for their glossy green leaves, and bright red berries. Hollies look best if kept trimmed and full. Only the females set berries, but you?ll need a male to cross pollinate. There are some new varieties that don?t require 2 sexes. Hollies prefer an acidic soil and the addition of peat or garden sulfur may be necessary. The American holly is more widely adaptable than the English. Medium grower. Plant 2 - 4' apart. USDA Zones 5 - 9, H - 6-10', S - 5-8', Full sun to partial shade.

Variegated Japanese Laurel (Aucuba japonica ?Variegata?) aka Gold Dust Tree
Leathery pale bright green leaves mottled with yellow variegation make this tree a standout, especially when used to light up a shady area. ?Variegata? is a female and requires a male for pollination, to produce red berries. Good choices include ?Mr. Goldstrike? and ?Maculata?. Prefers a moist soil, but can handle periodic dry spells. Slow Grower. Prune in early spring to summer. USDA Zones 6 -9+, H - 6-9', S - 3-5', Partial shade to full shade.

Ligustrum (Privet) A classic hedge plant, not all privets are evergreen. The dense foliage responds extremely well to pruning. Most have white summer flowers followed by black berries. Privet are very adaptable and will grow in just about any conditions. Fast growers. Prune after flowering. USDA Zones vary 3/6 - 7/8, H - to 15', S - 5-6', Full Sun to shade.