The Q&A Archives: weeping cherry tree

Question: hello !I remmoved a couple of weeping cherry trees from a friends yard on the 28th this month & found the roots very shallow & was unable to retrieve any of the root ball.I did go ahead in and dig a hole ,tried not set the tree to deep & watered the roots & dirt as I went along to help settle.I know this is very :not the right: without the root ball ahat can I do to help them live & grow Thank you

Answer: Cherry trees are usually quite good at adapting to all kinds of situation. As long as there are roots, the trees should survive. The best thing you can do is to water deeply once or twice a week to encourage new root growth. In the meantime you may not see much top growth, because the roots are busy trying to stay alive. Just water regularly and by next spring you should see some new growth. Let's hope so!