The Q&A Archives: Tropical Looking Trees

Question: I would like to plant 2 trees in my back yoard right next to my small patio area in Raleigh North Carolina. I would like them to have a tropical look to them, however, I would like to ensure the following:

-That they do not grow very large
-That their roots do not grow alot to where they would grow beneath the foundation of my house
-That they do not attract alot of pests

Thanks so much!

Answer: Trees tend to grow high and wide so instead of trees, how about some shrubs? Banana plants, bird of paradise and even bougainvillea will grow well in your gardening region and the bougainvillea can be trained into a tree shape. Or you can grow Yews which start out as shrubs but can grow into trees. Pruning will keep them under control. Or dwarf palms will remain small for a long time. Hope these suggestions help. Best wishes with your garden!