The Q&A Archives: Spring Growth

Question: I planted some Latana last year and they grew like crazy with continous blooms all summer. In the fall I cut them back to within one foot of the ground leaving branches sticking up. I live in NC and so far have not seen any growth. Did I cut them to far back and destroy them. I dont want to dig them up ,in case there is still life left. Tks , Larry

Answer: Lantana grows best in the heat so your plant is probably waiting for hot weather. As a rule they will take any amount of pruning so I don't think cutting it back has harmed it. Give your plant a few more weeks to sprout new growth. If nothing happens by mid-May, cut into some of the stems to see if they are still alive - green tissue indicates they are; brown tissue indicates the stems are dead. However, if the roots made it through the winter you should see new stems emerging from the crown of the plant. I would take a wait and see attitude and hope for the best!