The Q&A Archives: Ilex

Question: Hi,
Thanks for your reply,we have decided to plant ilex (holly). When I googled it ,It says It needs Male & female plants to give fruits.
Now my question is when I go to by this plant how do i select male or female plants? & how do I plant them?
Thank you

Answer: Female hollies produce berries where there is at least one male in the vicinity. You can purchase cultivars that are paired up and easily recognizable by their names.(you'll need one male for up to 5-6 females). For instance, China Girl and China Boy, Blue Prince and Blue Princess. Or, you can plant Ilex cornuta 'Bufordii', the 'Burford? holly. It is parthenocarpic, meaning it sets seed without requiring a pollinator. Or, plant ?Nellie R. Stevens? (Ilex x ?Nellie R. Stevens?) is partially parthenocarpic. Better fruit set occurs when it is pollinated by a close-at-hand Ilex x ?Edward J. Stevens?, but it will still set fruit when planted alone.

Hope this clarifies things for your.