The Q&A Archives: Fruit trees

Question: Hello,

How do I keep my apple and peach tree from from turning rotten before being fully riped? Also, the majority of my fruits on the tree are always on the ground.

Answer: It is normal for some immature fruits to drop from the tree - this is a natural thinning process that the tree initiates when there are too many fruits for it to try to grow to maturity. If the unripe fruits are rotting, there is an insect or a disease problem and I cannot diagnosis it without inspecting the fruits. The best way to determine just what the problem might be and how to control or avoid it is to take samples of the affected fruits to your local cooperative extension office for diagnosis. Helpful folks there can recommend a control strategy based upon their findings. Best wishes with your fruit trees.