The Q&A Archives: Removing shrubs and planting a new garden.

Question: I need to remove 8 year old Alberta Spruce bushes from my garden because they are dead. Do I need to completely remove the rootball? Secondly, any suggestions for plants/bushes that thrive in full sun? I live in Maryland.

Answer: If you can remove the old rootmass I'd recommend doing so. Otherwise the roots will decompose and may cause mushroom growth. Some of the best choices for MA include Thuja occidentalis (Eastern Arborvitae) ?Hetz Midget? (grows 3 x 3) with a dense globe shape, ?Holmstrup? (grows 5 high and 3' wide) a compact pyramid, or ?Little Giant? which grows 4' by 4' with a globe shape.

Taxus x media Anglojap Yew ?Densiformis? which grows 8 feet tall and 3 feet wide with a dense, rounded form, dark green needles and red fruit; or ?Hicksii? 3 x 7
with a columnar form with dark green needles and red fruit.

Best wishes with your landscape.