The Q&A Archives: Squash growing in my garden

Question: I am growing squash, they seem healthy, leaves are big, they are blossoming, but the squash seems to be growing very small and yellowing. Am I over watering? or do I need to fertilize? Thank you

Answer: I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Squash plants produce separate male and female flowers. The male flowers are the first to appear, followed by female flowers. The male flowers will die without producing squash; the female flowers will begin to develop squash but they will shrivel and die if they are not completely pollinated. As your plant matures it will have more flowers and attract more pollinating insects which will transfer pollen from the male to the female flowers, which will result in complete pollination and the potential for the fruit to grow to maturity. You can hedge the bet by removing a male flower (straight stem behind the petals) and rubbing the insides to the insides of a female flower (slight swelling directly behind the petals). This will result in pollen transfer and a squash. Have fun with your plants - I hope you have a bountiful harvest.