The Q&A Archives: Shade Plants For Indianapolis IN area

Question: I'm trying to figure out what are some good plants to plant in a shaded area. I live in an area where there are a lot of trees and the plant will have some partial sun in the morning. Any recomendations for shade plants in my landscaping beds?
Thank you,

Answer: You have quite a number of plants from which to choose. Hosta and Astilbes top the list of shade loving plants; Dicentra (bleeding heart), Aconitums (Monkshood; carmichaelii, vulparia), Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle), Aquilegia (Columbine), Aruncus (Goatsbeard, kneiffii and aethusifolius), Asarum (Ginger), Bergenia (Pigsqueak), Dicentra (Bleeding Heart; eximia and formosa), Epimedium (Barrenwort), some ferns, Galium (Sweet Woodruff), Gaultheria (Wintergreen), many Geraniums (Cranesbill), Helleborus (Hellebores), Iris cristata (Crested Iris), Heuchera, Heucherella, Lamium (Deadnettle), Lamiastrum, Lysimachia punctata 'Alexander', Myosotis (Forget-me-not), Polemonium (Jacob's Ladder; reptans, which grows shorter), Polygonatum humile (Dwarf Solomon's Seal), Primula, Corydalis (Fumewort), Tellima (look for 'Forest Frost'!), Thalictrum kiusianum, Tolmiea (Piggyback Plant), Tricyrtis (Toad Lily) and Tiarella (Foamflower). Hope this list is helpful.