The Q&A Archives: Cleaning stains on concrete patio

Question: Hello, My backyard patio (concrete) is very dirty and badly stained. What can I use to clean it? Also, is it possible to paint concrete patios, and is it advisable?
Thank you
Cindy Zuniga

Answer: You can remove most stains from concrete with a power washer and a cleaner such as Simple Green or something more powerful such as muratic acid. There are lots of products on the market but you will want to read the labels to make sure they are safe to use around any plants that might be in the vicinity. And, you can paint your patio once you've removed the debris and any oil residue with a power washer. You can use a roller to apply the paint. Check the paint section of your local Home Depot for concrete paints and concrete cleaners. Best wishes with your project.