The Q&A Archives: scotch moss

Question: I have an area that is on the edge of my driveway that leads to our back yard. I have planted grass there every year for the last 3 years only to have nothing/sparse growing there in the spring I have done everything suggested for the area now I want to put moss. how can I keep it out of my beds that are on the side of the area? I have read conflicting things about how/where it willspread plz help

Answer: If left unattended for years on end, I suppose Scotch (or Irish) moss can become invasive, but I've found it to be very easy to control. Each plant spreads out about 8 inches in diameter and creeps slowly so if you see it trying to escape from the planting bed you can simply dig it up and plant it elsewhere. Most creeping plants will move towards the edge of a planting bed so as long as you expect this pattern of growth, all you need to do is check on it through the summer and cut it back with a shovel or hand trowel. Hope this answers your question!